West Secord has two great places to play:
The Southwest Playground
Location: beside David Thomas King School
- A zipline
- A massive clubhouse play structure (the first of its kind in Canada!)
What about Phase 2?
Phase 2 is being completed in Spring 2020. It will include a pump track — a bike track with bumps and curves where kids use their momentum to carry themselves through the track. It is going to be super cool!Christie Delano, Vice President of Secord Community League and Chair of the Playground Committee
The Northeast Playground
- Location: Secord Blvd & 217 Street
- Features: slides, swings, benches and a forested area (see below for details on the wetland).
Wildlife & The Outdoors
Walk through the trees. Sit by the pond. Listen to woodpeckers and ducks.
Secord is home to two special protected areas: a special wetland and a preserved treestand.
The Secord Wetland
- What: 4.4 hectare area in the East part of Secord
- Where: Just south of the Northeast Playground
Got a little one in tow? Make sure they keep their eyes peeled!
Common sights include:
- White-tailed deer
- Small mammals
The Secord Treestand
- What: 3.0 hectares of deciduous forest that has been protected since way back in 1982!
- Where: You can’t go in to The Secord Treestand, but you can visit and listen for lots of bird songs. Access it at 9804 Winterburn Rd.
Look for the two baseball diamonds, located on the park space, directly south of the natural area.
In addition to these two unique places, the Secord Community also has three large constructed ponds.
These are the perfect places to enjoy a lazy weekend walk, take your pup for an evening stroll, or ride a bike.
There are 2 public golf courses within a 10-minute drive of Secord:
- Lewis Estates Golf Course 18 hole championship course
- The Ranch Golf and Country Club: championship-calibre course
You can also perfect your golf swing at the local driving range.
Residents of Secord, who are also members of the Secord Community League, get 5 passes, per family member, per membership year, for swim and fitness access at selected City facilities. Wow!
Forget hibernation! Secord Residents are active all year long, including the fun winter months that make #WinterCityYEG so unique.
Secord Outdoor Rink
- Location: west of the ball diamond on 218 Street and 97 Avenue
- When it’s open: December to March (weather dependent)
- Members also have access to these outdoor rinks:
Check out @livesecord on Instagram to see for yourself what life is like in Secord, year-round.